A 100% employee owned company
PNEUMATIC • FILTRATION • ELECTRICAL • HYDRAULIC • LUBRICATION • WELDING
The History Of
J.H. Bennett & Company, Inc.
In 1958 Jack Henry Bennett, a salesman and the President of Racine Hydraulics of Michigan (RHM), founded what today is J.H. Bennett & Company, Inc. In the 1950s, distributors only sold one line of products and due to contractual obligations, RHM could only sell Racine Hydraulics.
Jack Bennett knew his customers deserved better and in 1958, he, along with 8 other salesmen broke the business norms of the time and founded J.F. Burgess Company. They sold hydraulic AND pneumatic products to better serve their customers.
Code of Ethics
Be Fair & Honest
Supply The Best Quality Products & Services
Develop positive long term relationships with customers
Create an employee focused environment
Train employees to become ‘aces’ in their roles
Continually enhance employee well being
Utilize new technologies and quality equipment
The Original Founders
Jack Henry Bennett
Mort Van Eberstein
J.F. Burgess Company changes their name to
J.H. Bennett & Company, Inc. during the official incorporation of the company.
JHB moves out of their shared space with RHM due to increased business demand. Moved to Farmington Hills, MI.
JHB establishes an ESOP opening up ownership to all employees. Since 1958, the original founders gradually sold off their shares to other employees.
JHB moves to a new facility in Novi, MI due to increased business demand.
JHB acquires Capwell Distriubtors of Ohio and forms Capwell-Bennett.
Capwell-Bennett becomes J.H. Bennett & Company, Inc - Ohio
JHB purchases an adjacent building to their Novi building due to increased business demands.
JHB acquires W.C. Smith Co. in Grand Rapids, MI and forms Smith-Bennett. Later that year the name changes to J.H. Bennett & Company - Grand Rapids.
JHB acquires Universal Sales in Indianaplois, IN to form J.H. Bennett & Company, Inc. - Indiana.
JHB and Schaltz Fluid Power in Flint, MI form a joint venture company called ICOM1 LLC.
ICOM1 sells 51% of the company to Phyllis Valdez of The Aldez Group, a minority enterprise, to capitalize on commodity management in the Flint, Bay City, and Saginaw area.
JHB-Indiana is sold to B.W. Rogers, Inc. as their product lines more closely aligned to the Indiana Market.
JHB becomes an S Corp, 100% ESOP company to better take care of the employee owners.
JHB relocates to a new facility in Novi, MI due to increased business demand
JHB acquires The Ursem Company in Cleveland, OH and relocates the company to JHB-Ohio
JHB acquires Shaltz Fluid Power's 24.5% stock of ICOM1 to own 49% of the company.